- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or ground flaxseed
- 8 ounces catfish fillets, patted dry and cut into 2 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (may be omitted)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped scallion, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Place sesame seeds or ground flaxseed in a shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish with garlic powder and salt. Dredge the catfish in the mixture, shaking off the excess (discard the remaining mixture).
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil, black bean-garlic sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons scallion, vinegar, water and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the fish with the sauce and garnish with more scallion, if desired.
[Ingredient Note: Black bean-garlic sauce is a savory sauce used in Chinese cooking made from fermented black soybeans, garlic and rice wine. Find it in the Asian-foods section of the supermarkets.]
Nutritional Facts – Calories: 193 / Total Fat: 12g / Sat Fat: 2g / Carbohydrates: 3g / Dietary Fiber: 0g / Sugar: 0g / Protein: 18g / Sodium: 575mg / Cholesterol: 62 mg